Tuesday, February 7, 2012

If I Die Young...

The Band Perry can go suck it.

Because their song is so beautiful; but if you stop to really listen to all the words it's really just sad.

And it has me thinking...

which is never a good thing.

Because if I did die young, what would happen to my kids? And my husband? And my parents, because parents aren't supposed to bury their children?

Who could ever love them like I could? Like their mama could? Sure, they have my husband; their papa. But he's no substitute for a me

Who would hear them in the middle of the night and cover them up and kiss their forehead like only their mama could?

Who would understand just by looking at their expression what they needed or wanted or what was troubling them?

Who would let them sit out in the living room for breakfast on school days so they could watch SpongeBob, even though we have a "no eating anywhere but the kitchen" rule?

Who would know not to put sunscreen on Jacob's face unless he's outside because he dryheaves otherwise? Or the fact that he gags when he smells worms after it rains? Or that he needs to bring his favorite stuffed animal to school every day so can have a little piece of home?



Who would know that Anna is a closed book with her feelings? She doesn't tell you how she's doing unless she's distracted. And who would know that beneath her sparkly smile, she really needs a boost of self-confidence?



Who would know that the reason Camden usually throws a tantrum is because his feelings are hurt? Who would know that he really can do things for himself, but he doesn't want to because he likes to be mama's baby boy?



Who would spoil this sweet little thing and dance with her and sing Stereo Hearts with her because that is her favorite song? Who would know that we do not listen to kids' tunes around here? Give us some Black Eyed Peas or Adele so we can have a Dance Party U.S.A. But we like it loud so it drowns out our out-of-tune voices.



Who would be their memory keeper, storing all of the precious moments and telling them remember when? stories when they are grown?

I hope I'll never have to know the answers to these questions.

That'll teach me to listen to The Band Perry before I go to bed.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my heart.
    This is the kind of thing that keeps me awake at night.
    You captured you children beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to share this

    ReplyDelete