Thursday, October 6, 2011

Where I Am

I start my run on busy streets; crossing a bridge where semi-trucks zoom past, leaving me in a fog of dust and haze.

I cross the last busy street and step into another world.

With every step I run, I leave the whir of cars farther behind.

I hear the crunch of leaves beneath my feet; the chatter of birds nestled in their trees; the scurrying of chipmunks and squirrels gathering their acorns.

I look up at the perfect blue, cloudless sky and see the leaves floating gently down in their last descent until next spring; the sun's rays peek through the blanket of trees and warms my cheeks.

The breeze blows my hair; cools the sweat that glistens on my arms, my face, the back of my neck.

My mind is emptied of the constant swirl of the day; my feet are in perfect tempo to the beat of my music; my breathing comes easy, my lungs used to the work I force upon them.

All too soon, I have to turn around; start the trek back; back to the bustle of traffic and leave my perfect run behind.

You can't plan a perfect run, but you can have a perfect trail.



The Red Writing Hood prompt this week comes from assistant editor Galit.



This week, I want you to take me there.
Where is up to you: Someplace real? Imaginary? From your past? In your future? It can be fiction or creative non-fiction. But make your descriptions so rich that I can’t help but feel like I’m right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment