Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Summer Favorites Photo Dump and a Little Rambling...


A good story was written this summer; one of the best. Many of my favorite memories happened at the beach and baseball fields. Baseball isn't just about watching your kids play ball, it's so much more. It's friendships made and strengthened, not only for our kids, but for the adults too.

I am completely humbled by this photo. There's so much more, you can see it in the expanse of the sky; forever blue and neverending, and my littlest looks so teeny compared to it. It seems like the more control I try to have over things; the less control I actually have...I think I'm finally learning that. The tighter I try to grip something, the more it floats and flits away. Everything happens for a reason, and while my mind knows this, my heart doesn't always. It takes a while for that part of me to catch up, and when it does, I have a forehead-slapping, a-ha moment of clarity, and kick myself for worrying in the first place.

This kid, he has my heart wrapped up in the palm of his hand. With his dimples, and big toothy grin, and one-liners, and the way he still wraps his arms around my neck at night for his goodnight hug; he's just so sweet...except when he's not, and he's throwing a fit or fighting with a sibling or slamming doors or throwing rocks at his big sister's head. I want to remember those things too. The good, the bad, and the rock throwing. We welcomed ourselves right into the new neighborhood, that we did. 


My softball girl. It was so much fun watching her bloom on the softball field this summer and early fall. She is 8 going on 18, and that scares the crap out of me. I'm not ready for her to be so grown up yet, and I don't think she is either, because sometimes when we read at night, she snuggles right up next to me and puts her head in my lap and asks me to rub her head. We all gather on a bed and read Charlotte's Web and Junie B. Jones. I'm trying not to hurry, hurry, hurry and get bedtime over with because if we can end the day on a good note, with a laugh and a hug, then I feel like I accomplished something good that day, even if the rest of the day was a disaster.

And this one, with his tender heart, makes my heart explode right out of my chest. Just last night at the dinner table, he was talking about a boy in our neighborhood who said we (my kids) were his only friends and that he didn't have any at school. And then he started to get all choked up because he felt sad for him, and told his brother and sisters that we needed to help him and be extra friendly. And then I got all choked up and cried in my chili. Why are friendships so hard at such a young age?



And these two...either love each other or are yelling at each other. She's bossy and he won't be bossed. Bad combination, and a very loud one.





And this picture kills me. She's so afraid of the sound of the lawn mower, so she stands at the kitchen window, yelling and screaming for PAPA!!! to look at her and wave.

These last few were taken with my iPhone...








Rambling and summerish photos...done. We're on to fall and the leaves are gorgeous, and my kitchen most often smells of apple desserts being baked. I'm learning that I can love another season just as much as summer...i'm not done growing yet, I guess.

GFunkified

No comments:

Post a Comment