Friday, July 15, 2011

These Shoes

My beloved running shoes.

They are calling my name.

Every time I walk out the door, I glance longingly at my neglected running kicks; yearning to lace them up and just RUN. 

I need to work up a sweaty lather.

I need to hear the sound of my shoes pounding the pavement in a steady, easy rhythm.

I need to hear the beat of my music.

I need to be alone in my thoughts, and let my mind wander wherever it wants.

I need to feel the wind in my hair; see the sweat glisten on my arms; hear my heart pound in my ears.

Two weeks and five days without a run feels like a prison sentence of the worst kind; the kind with no specific end in sight; no early parole for good behavior.

My running shoes that are usually at the top of the pile, are now getting buried underneath the flip-flops, the baseball cleats, more sandals and work boots.

They are neglected.

Not for much longer, I hope.

I am smarter now.

I know I need time to heal.

I know that when I wake up and my legs feel like they're 80, they need a rest.

Now, if my legs and broken toe could tell my restless mind and neglected shoes that...

 






So for your prompt this week I'd like you to write about your character (or yourself) and a pair of his or her shoes.


Those shoes can be real or symbolic, they can hurt or be super comfy but I want to see what they say about the life of the person wearing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment