Friday, July 1, 2011

Forgotten Letters...


 "You are the greatest mom ever...I love you mom".

I save most of the cards and letters my kids give to me. They are lovingly hidden away in a blue velvet box (which is in it's super secret hiding place under my bed).

As I was looking for a missing toy the other day, I pulled the box out from under my bed and found this card.

 It was written by a then kindergarten Jacob; my oldest who is now 8.

I sat on the edge of the bed as tears were stinging the backs of my eyes, threatening to spill over.

I remember the day he gave it to me; it wasn't a birthday or a holiday, it was just an everyday day. He was so proud of his newly found spelling abilities and his stick figures that now included eyes, nose, mouth, and hair.

I remember hugging him and kissing the top of his growing-up-boy head; thinking not too long ago, I was kissing his curly-blonde-toddler locks on his sweet little boy head. Though he's still sweet, he's just a more grown-up sweet. Instead of instantly flinging his arms open to hug me, he sometimes looks around first to see if anyone else is looking.

I have to keep these reminders of their growing-up days, because sometimes I forget that I was the "greatest mom ever".

Sometimes I don't feel like the "greatest mom ever". Especially after days of breaking up fight after fight, sending them to their rooms or naughty corners on a sometimes hourly basis.

Sometimes I don't feel worthy enough to be blessed with these hugely awesome kids.

And those are the days when I pull out my box, and I'm whisked away. The memories wash over me like a warm, soft blanket...

And then I remember...

In their eyes, I am the "greatest mom ever".
You or your character find a forgotten letter or card from someone important in your life--whether good or bad.  What does it say?  How does it affect you or your character?  What is done with it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment