Thursday, August 11, 2011

Jump Rope...

Cinderella dressed in yellow

Went downstairs to meet a fine fellow...

I loved to jump rope when I was a little girl.

How many kisses did she get?

When I sang this tune while jump-roping, I was always the beautiful princess.

One, two, three, four...

I'd walk down the stairs in my beautiful gown, and my prince would come and rescue me.

Five, six, seven, eight...

We'd live happily ever after; no yelling; no tears; always enough to eat.

Nine, ten, eleven, twelve...

I could jump rope for-what-seemed-like-ever; lost in my daydream of a happier place.

Thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen...

A place where I was comforted when I cried; a place where hugs and kisses replaced screams and nightmares.

Seventeen, eighteen, nineteen, twenty...

I'm all grown up now...and I've been rescued.

Twenty-one, twenty-two, twenty-three, twenty-four...

I am happy; and we have plenty to eat; and there are lots of hugs and kisses. And when someone in this house cries...there are always open arms to comfort them.

 
4.) Write a poem about your childhood to the beat of a Jump Rope rhyme.

No comments:

Post a Comment