There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Memories

My memories of childhood come to me fleetingly.

The painfully shy, awkward little duckling, so tiny is size with long, blond hair; hair that always hung over my big blue eyes; hiding me away (or so I thought).

I don't remember what my first memory was.

I remember bits of time; pieces of puzzles that others fill in for me.

My sister taught me to read when I was four so she wouldn't have to read TO me anymore; I don't remember this, though. I never remember a time when I couldn't read; books were my escape.

My first bike; orange in color with a white banana seat and a basket with flowers. I never remember a time when I couldn't ride a bike, though.

I remember the Christmas I found out there was no Santa. I'm not sure I actually ever BELIEVED in Santa, though.

I remember snapping the ends off of fresh green beans from my grandma's garden; standing on a white kitchen chair beside her, rinsing them under ice cold water and plopping them in the big silver pot for a Saturday evening dinner. The first time doing this? I can't remember. 

I remember the first time I felt self-conscious of my sweaty hands; wiping them endlessly on my pants before anyone could notice. I never remember a time my hands didn't sweat, though. 

I see pictures from when I was a little girl, "Remember this...?" someone would ask, and they would tell me the story of the picture and fill in the missing pieces for me, telling me how old I was at the time; their memories of it, not mine.

MY memories; some good, some bad; are tucked away deep, rising up only when I let them; sometimes triggered by songs, or smells, or things my own children say; these memories are mine; my own pieces of my own puzzle; my own bits of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment