Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Know it by Heart...




From my childhood, this is what I know by heart...

The smells...

Of my grandmother's house. Walking in the back door and being greeted by the aromas of my favorite comfort foods. The baked-from-scratch chocolate sheet cake with homemade frosting; the turkey roasts and fresh baked bread; the holiday meals that took hours to prepare and only minutes to eat.

The sounds...

Of my grandmother's house. The old grandfather clock; chiming it's hourly greeting in the gentlest of bells. The tinkling of the candy dish; always filled with lemon drops, Starbursts, or orange slices. The piano in the basement; pounding out my newest accomplishment of a song in wrong played notes in sharps and flats.

The feel...

Of my grandmother's house. Comfort; calm; peace; happiness; the feeling of a full tummy and a fresh bath and hung-on-the-line-fresh, crisp sheets to fall into after a day of play.

This is what I know by heart.

  We want to know what, from your childhood, do you still know by heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment